Sunday, May 15, 2011

Camping Weekend

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.....all in a weekend. Ok not exactly the "Tale of Two Cities" here and not exactly the worst of times either, but I needed a quote to describe the weekends events.   The best of times, well just camping. Sure it was hot, windy, rainy, buggy, it was GREAT !  The first day was hot and buggy. We (me and the dogs) held off the bugs and heat with a fan. 

The second day was off and on rain and the wind about did in my canopy/awning. This is what was the worst of times. I was out at 1:30am working on the canopy. Thankfully in between showers.     I have three different types of stakes to use to tie down. The soil is a combination of packed dirt and sand. When it rains, it softens drastically. I apparently didn't have enough muscle to get the stakes down far enough and two stakes pulled out from the wet soil and the strong winds.  I finally had to tie it to the pinic table, which had to be moved and was HEAVY.

I took the kayak and was able to go out in it twice.  The first time was pretty early in the morning when the gators are active and I saw four of them. I did not take the camera on the kayak. So the gator pictures I have are from my campsite.     I met a very nice couple, Don and Patsy. They own a yellow Lab, but did not bring her. Her name is Lexie. Don was there to do some serious fishing. They were meeting other fishing friends and get to stay for 10 days. She is a retired Teacher/Librarian. He is retired from the Merchant Marines. I enjoyed talking with them. They were celebrating their 39th anniversay and she doesn't like to fish.         

Here are a few pictures from the weekend.






My favorite lakeside campsite.

A storm coming in.

The 'girls'

 This guy sure has a set up, can you see the fish finder?

Gator Butt ! 

Here are the boating/people pix.

 This next picture isn't that great.....but they have a dog in the boat so they deserve to be published :-)






 and of course  a flower picture. I don't know what kind it is.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like in spite of Mother Nature's attempt to make a miserable weekend for you, you fooled her! Not everyone can do that! Glad you had a good time. Always good to see "the girls". Makes me want to hit the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interestingly enough the more I camp, the more I learn to 'go with the flow' when it comes to the weather and camping. As long as I don't get struck by lightning, hit by a tornado, have a tree/limb fall on my camper or get a leak I don't mind the weather. I take plenty to do, just in case I get stuck inside and I'm always prepared to let the girls out to 'go' and dry them off before they come back in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update: The flower is Butterfly weed (Asclepias Tuberosa).

    ReplyDelete
  4. T, Great pictures, the girls look happy as usual. You are lucky to get out to some great places. Miss you, Renee

    ReplyDelete